Friday 6 July 2018

What are the early symptoms of leukemia in children?


Many symptoms of leukemia in children are also symptoms of common, less serious childhood illnesses. Leukemia can be chronic, and the symptoms may develop slowly, or it can be acute, and the symptoms may appear very quickly.
Childhood leukemia also affects teens. It is the most common type of cancer in children under the age of 15, according to the National Cancer Institute in the United States. Around 4,000 children in the country are affected by leukemia each year.
Leukemia affects the blood cells. It causes white blood cells to develop in a person's bone marrow. These then travel through the bloodstream and suppress the production of healthy blood cells.
A diagnosis of leukemia can be frightening, but survival rates continue to improve.

Common symptoms of childhood leukemia
If a child has any of the following symptoms, and a parent or caregiver suspects leukemia, it is essential to contact a doctor.

1. Anemia
Anemia occurs when the body has a shortage of red blood cells.
Red blood cells are responsible for carrying oxygen around the body, and if someone is not producing enough, they may experience:
  • fatigue
  • weakness
  • dizziness
  • breathlessness
  • headaches
  • pale skin
  • feeling unusually cold


2. Frequent infections
Children with leukemia have a high white blood cell counts, but most of these cells are not functioning correctly. This is because abnormal cells are replacing healthy white blood cells.
White blood cells help to protect the body and fight off infections.
Recurrent and persistent infections can indicate that a child does not have enough healthy white blood cells.

3. Bruising and bleeding
If a child bruises easily, experiences severe nosebleeds, or bleeds from the gums, this can point to leukemia.
A child with this type of cancer will have a lack of platelets that help to prevent bleeding.

4. Bone or joint pain
If a child seems to be in pain and complains that their bones or joints are sore or achy, this can indicate childhood leukemia.
When leukemia develops, the abnormal cells can collect inside joints or close to the surface of the bones.

5. Swelling
In a child with leukemia, swelling can affect various parts of the body, including:
  • The abdomen, when abnormal cells collect in the liver and spleen
  • The face and arms, when pressure on a vein called the superior vena cava causes blood to pool in the area
  • The lymph nodes, when a person notices small lumps forming on the sides of the neck, in the underarms, or on the collarbone

It is important to note that a child with swollen lymph nodes and no additional symptoms is more likely to have an infection than leukemia.
Also, tumors from other types of cancer are more likely to put pressure on the superior vena cava and lead to facial swelling. The swelling will be worse when a child wakes up, and it will improve during the day.
This is called superior vena cava syndrome, and it rarely occurs in cases of leukemia. However, it can be life-threatening, and it requires emergency care.



1 comment:

  1. Hello I'm cambell by name, I'm giving a testimony about Dr.Emmanuel the great Herbalist, he has the cure to all manner of diseases, he cured my herpes disease, though I went through different website I saw different testimonies about different spell casters and herbalist, I was like: 'Many people have the herpes cure why are people still suffering from it?' I though of it, then I contact Dr. Emmanuel via email, I didn't believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared it (CURE) and sent it to Airfreight Online Courier Service for delivery, he gave my details to the Courier Office, they told me that 3-5 days I will receive the package and i took the medicine as prescribed by him and I went for check-up 2 weeks after finishing the medicine, I was tested herpes negative, if you are herpes positive do me a favor for you to contact him and I will try my possible best to make sure you get cured, when you contact him, make sure you tell him that I referenced you.. contact him via: nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2348140073965 

    ReplyDelete